Soi Dog Foundation Adoption Policy
Matching the right people to the right dog is important to us at Soi Dog Foundation (SDF), that's why we have an adoption process. Please take your time to think about what type of dog you are after, and what type of dog is right for you and your family.
We work really hard to find each adopter the right pet. Each adoption is approved on an individual basis. Some animals may not be considered appropriate for your particular situation, and so may not be adopted to you.
Many of the animals in our care have had a tough time, so it’s very important that their next home is the right home and a home for life.
Think before you adopt. Sharing your life with a companion animal can bring incredible rewards, but only if you’re willing to make the necessary commitments.
Please think about your adoption decision carefully and thoroughly!
Our policies are in place to ensure we find the best forever homes for our cat and dogs.
All dogs, puppies, cats and kittens will be spayed/neutered and fully vaccinated prior to leaving the shelter.
To provide permanent identification, all dogs, puppies, cats and kittens will arrive with a microchip. We will supply the microchip number during the adoption process. We request that you register your pet’s microchip prior to their arrival.
- SDF does not charge an adoption fee. We ask adopters to cover any fees we incur sending their dog to them. This will include blood tests where necessary, flight crate and flights.
- SDF only allows one dog to be adopted at any one time. This restriction is in place to give every animal the best chance for success in a new home. Dogs that are adopted together will likely look to one another for companionship and direction rather than to their new owners.
- You must be 18 years of age or older. We want to make sure it's a good fit for everyone! A pet is a family member and so all members of the family need to be in agreement about when to adopt a pet, and which pet to adopt.
- You must have your landlords consent to bring an animal into the property. If you rent or lease you must have written permission from their landlord before an adoption can be approved.
- Applicants for dog adoptions who have a yard / garden, it should be fenced on all sides.
- We may carry out a home-visit and in some cases suggest minor changes that will ensure your home is as pet friendly as possible.
- We may request a reference from your current veterinary clinic.
- If you are planning on adopting a dog and already have an existing dog, we ask that you tell us as much as possible about them so we can make sure the dog you have chosen is a suitable match for your family.
- Crating of Soi dogs is not allowed. Any adopter wishing to crate a Soi dog will not be approved.
- The adopter agrees to always use a 3 point harness to ensure that the dog cannot get off the lead if your dog becomes spooked when out of the safety of the home or garden.
- If approved as an adopter you must sign our adoption agreement and pay a deposit of $200 / 200 EUR / 200 GBP to secure the adoption.
- SDF reserves the right to refuse any adoption.
We do not:
- adopt dogs or cats to adopters who are likely to use them to hunt live animals or for use as guard dogs
- adopt a dog to a home where the adopter is not at home for long periods of time without a break.
- adopt "outdoor pets." Pets that are left outside to do not bond as readily with their owners and are prone to nuisance behaviours like barking, escaping, roaming, digging, predatory behaviour and other destruction. If applicants currently have an "outdoor pet" their adoption may be denied.
Other points to note:
- As the new owner, you agree to take full responsibility for the care and well-being of your pet for its lifetime.
- Once the adoption is finalized, you will be responsible for all medical bills and decisions regarding your pet.
- Once your pet has arrived home we will contact you on a regular basis to make sure you and your new pet are adjusting well to your new life together.
- Training benefits every dog, young or old. SDF recommends reward-based positive reinforcement training (the animal is rewarded when the desired behaviour is performed and unwanted behaviour is ignored). It is the most humane and effective training method, it sets the animal up to succeed, it is enjoyable for the dog and positively enhances the relationship bond between the animal and adopter.
- SDF highly recommends attending puppy school classes to provide pups with socialisation opportunities and basic training. Please check the puppy school and training classes you attend use reward-based training.
- We prefer that applicants have lived at their current address for at least three months. This is to make sure that owners have had time to settle into their new surroundings, and have established a stable routine before bringing a pet into the home. Because pets have extremely sensitive noses, any remodeling projects that involve chemicals and paint - including the installation of carpet - should have been completed well in advance of bringing a new pet home. Please remember that any time of transition is probably not a good time to adopt a pet.
- We cannot accept responsibility for a dog’s temperament once it has been re-homed